The sacred town of Mahuva is the birthplace of Brahmaswarup Bhagatji Maharaj (1819 – 1897 CE), the second spiritual successor of Bhagwan Swaminarayan.
Many years ago, Brahmaswarup Shastriji Maharaj, who followed Bhagatji Maharaj as the third spiritual successor to Bhagwan Swaminarayan and who founded the BAPS, wished that a traditional shikharbaddh mandir be built in the birthplace of his guru.
This wish took one more step towards fulfillment when, on 1 February 2009, in Atladra, Pramukh Swami Maharaj performed Vedic pujan rituals of the shilas to be placed in the Shilanyas Ceremony.
Then, on 19 February 2009, on a seven-acre plot on the outskirts of Mahuva these shilas were ritually placed into the foundations of the new mandir during the grand Vedic Shilanyas Ceremony. Presiding over this auspicious ceremony were Mahant Swami, Doctor Swami, Bhaktipriya (Kothari) Swami and Tyagvallabh Swami together with around 125 BAPS sadhus and 2,000 devotees.
This new mandir will be built according to the ancient traditions of the Vastushastras and Shilpashastras. It will serve as a center for devotion to God, service to society and spiritual inspiration.